Heritage Tree Halloween Scene with BBTB2


It's another Monday with another Bitten by the Bug 2 challenge and monthly blog hop!!  If you are following the blog hop you arrived here from Penny's blog, PenniAnne's.   Our adorable design team sister, Julie Huxter of Huxter's House, selected this week's challenge cut, Tree 1 from the Heritage cartridge.


When I first looked at the challenge cut, my first thought was “Family Tree”.  I designed a sweet heritage-family tree scrap layout, but I was never hugely excited about the page.  Last Thursday – Saturday I attended Creating Keepsake’s Charlotte Convention in Charlotte, NC and saw some really pretty heritage/family tree cardstock lines, but I did not purchase any.  Friday night while in bed at the Westin, it suddenly came to me.  The card was completely visualized in my head.  I was so afraid that I would forget the card idea before I arrived home!!


I began by cutting the tree, both the icon and shadow cuts at 4.25 inches. Using finger daubers and assorted brown, tan and black ink pads, I added shadows and highlights to the top layer of the tree. I then glued the two layers of trees together and added white pen highlights.

Next, using white card stock, I cut the base card. I welded two 5.5 x 4.25 inch rectangles together and then I welded a 5.5 x 2 inch rectangle to the two rectangles. I scored the card at 4.25 inches (middle fold), at 8.5 inches and at 9.5 inches (to create the fold on the lower front of the card).

Using the same cutting guide as above, I removed one of the two large rectangles and cut a rectangle in the dot cardstock for the front of the card. The dotted cut measured 5.5 x 6.25 inches. I scored at 1 inch and again at 2 inches (to cover the fold at on the bottom front of the card). The dot cardstock was then affixed to the card.

I added pop dots to the back of the tree cuts and added the tree to the card.



Next I cut a 2.75 inch moon in golden orange cardstock.  I inked the edges of the circle with a golden brown ink and added a few black dots.  I affixed the moon to the card with my ATG runner. I then cut a small flying witch from Happy Hauntings and pop dotted her to the front of the moon. 


I cut a 5.5 inch wide iron fence from the Heritage cartridge. Using light blue ink, I added moon light highlights to the fence before affixing it to the front of the card. The bottom of the fence was covered with a Halloween ribbon.

Using punches, I created a triple layer HAPPY HALLOWEEN tag for the lower front edge of the card. Once again I added moon light "highlights" to the tag.



Inside the card I used my new Close to My Heart Halloween stamp set and added the sentiment, Have a Wicked Halloween.  The sentiment is stamped onto green drippy edged cardstock affixed to the same dot cardstock that was used on the front of the card.


I know I mentioned a blog hop….. And you know what that means, right? Blog Candy! I am once again offering FABULOUS blog candy provided by the continuing generosity of CUSTOM CROPS. Custom Crops is offering a $20 gift voucher to my blog candy winner. All you have to do to be registered for the blog candy is be a blog follower of my blog and leave a comment under this post. I will be drawing a winner on Friday.

Custom Crops is one of my favorite on-line scrap goods stores. For me they are a go to source for all things Cricut and paper crafting related. Right now there is a great Back to School sale as well as Sizzix sale at Custom Crops. The Heritage cartridge is one of the Cricut cartridges included in the Back to School sale.

Once you have become a follower and left a comment below, and you have checked out Custom Crops sale, you will be ready to continue on with the blog hop. Your next stop is at the lovely blog of my adorably sweet design team sister, Krista. Krista is sure to inspire you with her Heritage tree project!


Remember that the BBTB2 Design Team loves it when you decide to play along with us on the weekly challenge.  You have two weeks to create your own Tree project and post it under the Heritage Tree post at Bitten by the Bug 2!

Have a great Monday. I will be back tomorrow with details of my seven classes and other CKC experiences!